to make a BIG difference …
Penelope Kitten climbs atop the kitchen table where Cynthia and Marcy are blogging.
She’s got her pink piggybank and a hammer.
penelope kitten: 1… 2… 3… smash!
Ceramic pink piggy parts go flying.
Cynthia (shielding her face with her arm): Arghhhh.
Marcy: Hisssssss. What are you doing?
penelope kitten (squeaking): gotta get my mewla to give away.
Marcy (incredulous): You’re going to give away your money?
penelope kitten: yeah yeah. for giving tuesday. i wanna help out.
Penelope Kitten gathers up her coins and paper bills and starts counting them.
Marcy: How much ya got?
penelope kitten (triumphantly): three dollars and seventy two cents.
Marcy: That’s not enough to make any kind of difference to anyone.
penelope kitten (dejectedly): oh.
Cynthia: That’s not necessarily true you know!
Penelope kitten (hopefully): no?
Cynthia: Oh no! Especially if you’re giving to small non-profits for whom every penny is precious.
penelope kitten: really?
Cynthia: Of course! How many times have we said in rescue, “no amount is too small” when soliciting donations?
penelope kitten: a lot.
Cynthia: Well, its true! Small organizations rely on lots of small donations since they don’t have the funding to advertise. So $5 here and $5 there (and even $3.72) is how many of our favorite rescues function. Plus, by giving to a small non-profit, you will have a better idea on how exactly your donation is being used to help.
Penelope Kitten pushes her money towards Cynthia.
penelope kitten: i’d like my $3.72 to go to a cat rescue who helps homeless or sick kitties, please.
Cynthia: You got it!
Marcy (yawning): If you two do-gooders are done with the computer, I have some Cyber Monday sales to peruse.
penelope kitten: how much mewla ya got?
Marcy (proudly): Twenty dollars and eighteen cents.
penelope kitten: fork it over.
Marcy (sighing): Fine.
penelope kitten: better to be a do-gooder than a no-gooder, marcy very much.
*Lots and lots of small to mid-size animal rescues need donations! Below are some of the ones we love and that are participating in #GivingTuesday but you can also find your own local rescues by doing a simple Google search.
- The Kris Kelly Foundation – Saves all animals – not just cats – from abuse, neglect, and slaughter and finds them loving homes. Facebook and PayPal are matching donations up to $7 million
- FixNation – Provides free spay/neuter for feral cats and low spay/neuter for domestic cats. They sterilize up to 100 cats a day. (I don’t know what Los Angeles would do without them.) VCA Charities will match every gift made to FixNation up to $20,000 until 12/31/18
- Shadow Cats – A Texas based cat rescue concentrating on special needs cats and TNR. They provide hospice care for sick or injured cats as space permits. Matching donations from Facebook and PayPal.
- Kitty Bungalow – California’s only 100% feral cat rescue – TNR, free spay/neuter, rescuer education, and even cat socialization. Onetime donations, recurring monthly donation, and Amazon wish list.
- Hollywood’s Mass TNR – Four animal rescues in Hollywood, Florida are getting ready to TNR their city with this first mass trap/neuter/return mission. Facebook and PayPal are matching their donations.
p.s. from penelope:
thank u. luv u.