|Marcy is alarmed|
Marcy and Penelope Kitten are hanging out in the bedroom. Marcy is napping when all of a sudden she bolts awake.
Marcy: What are you doing, Penelope?
penelope kitten: eating.
Marcy: What are you eating? OMG. Are you eating string?!
penelope kitten: no. spaghetti
Marcy: That’s not spaghetti. That’s STRING! You can’t eat string! You’ll die!
Marcy starts yelling for Cynthia. Penelope Kitten chews faster.
Marcy: Cindy! Cindy! Cindy!
Cynthia rushes in. Marcy points to Penelope Kitten.
Cynthia looks at Penelope Kitten and starts screaming.
Cynthia: What are you doing, Penelope? Oh no!
Cynthia grabs the piece of string Penelope is chewing on and about 3 inches emerge from her mouth.
penelope kitten: what? i’m eating spaghetti.
Cynthia (still kind of screaming): That’s string, Penelope. Cats can’t eat string because it will get wrapped around their intestines. And if that happens you’ll need surgery or… or…
Cynthia starts to cry.
penelope kitten: gasp.
Cynthia: Where did you find this? I never leave string out for this very reason. Oh no no no no no nooooo. How could I be so careless. Oh no.
Marcy: It’s from that badge you had around your neck.
Cynthia looks at the badge with the decimated string and figures out that Penelope Kitten ate about 6 inches. Which is bad but not so bad that she needs to go to the vet for X-rays. Also, the string appeared to be cotton and was very chewed up. Almost in pieces.
Cynthia stops crying and switches into high gear.
Cynthia: Here’s what we do, Penelope.
- I added olive oil to your wet food. Eat it.
- I’ll put some white petroleum jelly on your paws so you lick it off. The olive oil and vaseline will help coat the string so it passes easily. (hairball remedy will also work)
- Then, eat some pumpkin which will form a “pillow’ around the string so it won’t get caught on your insides.
- If we see the string come out either end we will be sure to NOT pull on it since that could cause serious damage. (cut off the string instead)
- Then, we watch you like a hawk for the next 72 hours. If there’s any change in your behavior or energy level we will immediately go to the vet for X-rays.
penelope kitten (unhappily): okay. but i don’t like jelly.
penelope kitten: i like spaghetti.
Cynthia watches Penelope Kitten for the next three days and sure enough, over those three days, Penelope Kitten coughs up and poops out a couple inches of sting at a time.
Penelope Kitten never felt the effects of eating string but Cynthia spent the three days feeling like the worst pet parent on the planet and looking like this.
|artwork by Franco Matticchio, Pat pat|
Marcy: It’s okay, Cindy. We’re all stupid and careless every once in a while.
Penelope Kitten obliviously and happily bops around the house.
penelope kitten: i’m fine. i feel great. let’s mambo. squeak.